Dominik Szoboszlai, the midfielder of the Hungarian national team and Red Bull Salzburg, finished in eighth place in the Golden Boy Award for the best footballer under the age of 21 playing in Europe.
The Italian magazine Tuttosport published the final result on Saturday, according to which the former player of Salzburg and the current player of Borussia Dortmund, Erling Haaland, finished in the lead, writes Világgazdaság. The Norwegian footballer has scored 44 goals in forty matches last season and scored 11 times in 11 matches this season.
The second was Barcelona’s Spanish player, Anssumane Fati, and the third was Bayern Munich’s Canadian player, Alphonso Davies.
In eighth place was Dominik Szoboszlai, the Austrian champion and cup winner last season, chosen as the best player in the league. In the Hungarian national team, he scored a winning goal in the European Championship qualifier against Iceland.
Not a single Hungarian has performed in such an upscale place in the history of the Golden Boy Award.
The recognition, founded by Tuttosport in 2003, was decided by forty prestigious football experts, each of whom was able to cast their vote for five players, with footballers receiving 10, 7, 5, 3, and 1 points. A list of the top 100 young players was published in mid-June, with support for fans, and a list of twenty candidates was published in October. From Hungary, György Szöllősi, editor-in-chief of Nemzeti Sport and president of the Association of Hungarian Sports Journalists, voted.
The Golden Boy Award has previously been won by footballers such as Wayne Rooney (2004), Lionel Messi (2005), Cesc Fabregas (2006), Sergio Agüero (2007), Mario Balotelli (2010), Mario Götze (2011), Isco (2012), Paul Pogba (2013), or Kylian Mbappé (2017).
The top 2020 Golden Boy Award top 10:
- Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund, Norway) 302 points
- Anssumane Fati (FC Barcelona, Spanish) 239 points
- Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich, Canadian) 226 points
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund, English) 80 points
- Eduardo Camavinga (Rennes, French) 50 points
- Dejan Kulusevski (Juventus, Swedish) 41 points
- Phil Foden (Manchester City, English) 36 points
- Dominik Szoboszlai (Red Bull Salzburg, Hungarian) 13 points
- Bukayo Saka (Arsenal, English) 13 points
- Vinícius Júnior (Real Madrid, Brazilian) 9 points