El-Míneja tartomány, 2017. május 26. Hozzátartozók gyászolják a kopt zarándokok ellen elkövetett merénylet áldozatait a koporsóik körül a dél-egyiptomi el-Míneja tartományban 2017. május 26-án, miután fegyveresek támadták meg a Hitvalló Szent Sámuel kolostorához tartó keresztény hívek három jármûvét a tartomány egy sivatagos területén. A merényletben legkevesebb huszonnyolcan életüket vesztették, huszonketten megsebesültek. (MTI/EPA/Mohamed Hoszam)

Budapest (MTI) – The Hungarian government resolutely condemns the terrorist attack that killed over two dozen Coptic Christians in central Egypt on Friday, the foreign minister said in response to the massacre.

At least 26 people died, many of them children, and several others were wounded in the attack carried out in Minya province south of Cairo.

It makes the attack all the more horrendous that it claimed the lives of children, Péter Szijjártó told MTI, expressing regret that the Coptic community had been targeted once again. He extended condolences to the victims’ families and wished speedy recovery to those injured.

Szijjártó stressed the need to pay more attention to endangered Christian communities in the Middle East and North Africa and mobilise a lot more resources for their protection.

Citing steps taken by Hungary to this effect, Szijjártó said that the government provided financial support for those communities in both regions and established a state secretariat for monitoring the persecution of Christians.

The human resources ministry also condemned the “coward and brutal attack”.

It said it was deeply shocked to learn about the violence targeting members of Egypt’s Coptic community and costing the lives of innocent people including many children.

The ministry stated Hungary’s readiness to provide medical assistance for those in need, and expressed support for, and solidarity with, the Egyptian government in the fight against terrorism.

Photo: MTI/EPA/Mohamed Hoszam

Source: MTI

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.