In recent years, several white storks have suffered severe injuries due to electric shock even though the local bird rescuer of Dömös, András Márton requested the power company to replace all killer medium-voltage wires and poles with underground cables. But in vain…
This is not the first loss of the bird rescuer who has already lost one of his beloved storks due to an electric shock that caused such severe injuries that the bird did not manage to survive.
A few days ago, a newborn stork “Blue” had a life-saving operation in Dömös. Despite his young age, the bird’s kid is already a tragedy; he has suffered electric shock twice, and he might not survive the injuries.
As the Hungarian news portal Sokszínű Vidék reports, the injured bird went through a thorough examination. The tip of the wing is missing due to the first electric shock, along with four large feathers, so he cannot walk or manoeuvre properly. On the wingtip, four feathers were cut in a needle and the wound was blown with antiseptic spray; new feathers will not grow here. Due to a previous electric shock, his right leg is 2-3 inches shorter; as a result of which, the stork will limp forever.
When the beak heals, a prosthesis is placed on the stump using carbon fabric and epoxy so he can eat and drink on his own. As the beak continues to grow – and if Blue is lucky and the living tissue is not severely damaged – then the missing part could theoretically grow back in 3-6 years.
The good news is that Blue has been drinking on his own since the rescue.
As András Márton reveals – it is still not sure whether Blue will survive or not; so hold on, little bird!