The 7th district of Budapest (Elizabethtown) accepted a new noise ordinance that would close most of the bars and shops between 12 pm and 6 am, starting in 60 days. The local council says that they would simply like to protect the interests of the people living there.
According to hvg, the local council of Elizabethtown accepted the new regulation on Thursday which affects almost all shops and bars in the district. There are only a few exceptions, like
- shops in hotels;
- shops that do not sell alcoholic beverages between 10 pm and 6 am;
- bars in the area surrounded by Király Street – Erzsébet Boulevard – Rákóczi Street – Károly Boulevard can ask for special permission to remain open even between 12 pm and 6 am.
To receive the permit, bars in that territory should not let their guests drink and shout in public spaces. Furthermore, they must allow everybody to use their restrooms, and they cannot load up stuff during the night. Moreover, they have to measure the level of the noise and have to clean the street where they operate.
- Until when do you have to drink your last beer in the party district of Budapest? – answers below
- Strictest rules to be introduced in Budapest party district!
- This is how Budapest’s party district will be regulated
We wrote HERE that even though the inner districts of Budapest became very famous among tourists, the bars and shops that are open all night made everyday life for locals nightmarish. And not only because of the noise but also because of the mess they produced during the parties. Péter Niedermüller, who became the mayor of the district last year,
promised to deal with this issue as well as the problems caused by Airbnbs.
The spokesman of the Night Mayor Budapest Association representing the bar owners of the district is not satisfied with the regulation. Dániel Németh G. said that the decision of the local council was not topical because it reacts to problems before the coronavirus epidemic.
Péter Nideremüller emphasised to hvg that their new regulation would come into effect only after 60 days. Furthermore, he added that the idea was not new,
and a consensus surrounded it before the emergency period,
but they were unable to accept the regulation before.
please make a donation here