According to m4sport.hu, Cristiano Ronaldo was chosen as the best European athlete of 2016 by European news agencies, including the Hungarian News Agency (MTI). He is followed by Andy Murray and our Iron Lady, Katinka Hosszú.
At the election transacted by the Polish PAP, the European Champion and Champions League winner football player, Cristiano Ronaldo came before the Olympic Champion and world N°1 tennis player, Andy Murray, by 24 points. The gentlemen are followed by the three-time Olympic Champion and one time Olympic silver medallist swimmer, Katinka Hosszú, with a 68 point drawback. The Iron Lady is still the best sportswoman on the list, not to mention that last year she was “only” listed in the ninth place.
There’s one more Hungarian star in the top20: the three time Olympic champion kayaker Danuta Kozák is listed in the 17th place.
This year, 27 European news agencies took part in the election, which has never been won by a Hungarian athlete. (Maybe next year?)
The top10 European athletes of 2016:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese, football) 204 points
- Andy Murray (British, tennis) 180 points
- Katinka Hosszú (Hungarian, swimming) 136 points
- Nico Rosberg (German, Formula-1) 115 point
- Mohamed Farah (British, athletics) 93 points
- Angelique Kerber (German, tennis) 77 points
- Martin Fourcade (French, biathlon) 74 points
- Marcel Hirscher (Austrian, alpine ski) 54 points
- Anita Wlodarczyk (Polish, athletics) 42 points
- Chris Froome (British, road racing cycling) 38 points
Copy editor: bm